Michael Sharpe AO
Michael Sharpe joined Coopers & Lybrand in 1955 and retired in 1998. He held many leadership positions within the firm including Senior Audit Partner for Australia and the world.
- Chairman International Accounting Standards Committee 1995-97
- President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia 1982-83
- Participant in the National Economic Summit Conference 1983
- Independent Auditor of the Australian National Audit Office 1988-92
- Director of the Australian Stock Exchange 1995-2009
- Director of many of the largest superannuation funds in Australia 1991-2008
- Member of the Takeovers Panel 1994-99
- Australia’s Accountant of the Year 1994
Michael served as auditor to The University of Sydney, as a member of the International Board of Njenrode University (Netherlands Business School) and as a visiting Professor of International Accounting at Capitol University in Beijing. In March 1999 the Senate of The University of Sydney awarded him a Doctor of Science in Economics.
Community Service Appointments
- Lay Canon of St Andrew’s Cathedral 1991-2005
- Chairman of the Audit Committee of the Anglican Church in Australia 1997-2004
- Chairman of Sir David Martin Foundation 1996-2002
- Chairman HM Bark Endeavour Foundation 2001-2005
- Member of the Council of Cranbrook School 1983-99
- President of the Council of Cranbrook School 1996-99
Michael was awarded membership of the Order of Australia in 1991 and promoted to officer in the Order of Australia in 2000 for service to the community, especially youth and the Church and to the accounting profession at a local, national and international level.